Saturday, March 3, 2012

What Happened???

Soooo, Wednesday night was Just. Plain. Miserable. :( I went to bed around 9:15 and couldn't get to sleep. I got up around 9:50 because I was so hungry. So I ate some cereal and went back to bed. I had noticed a slight sore throat after cooking dinner and was hoping it would just pass during the night. It did not. Instead, I was awakened at 1:20 because it had become so severely sore during the night. Now, I know so little about pregnancy right now and what you can and can't take, that I didn't know what to do. I found one Ricoloa throat lozenge in my medicine box, and I figured that was ok (it's pretty natural and all). I went back to bed and tossed and turned. I suppose I may have slept some. I don't know. All I knew for sure was that I was gradually feeling worse and worse. Cold chills and heat spells came over me at different intervals, and my body was beginning to ache so badly. 2:00 came, so I got up to make a cup of tea, thinking Sleepytime Vanilla was alright. As the water was boiling, I browsed the internet to find out things I could take to ease the pain. Of course, I found conflicting information and was completely frustrated by it all. In the end, after seeing all the ingredients in my tea, I nixed that idea and decided to gargle salt water. By the time I got that all together, a wave of nausea hit me and I headed to the bathroom. I came this close the throwing up, but somehow kept it at bay and managed to lie on the bathroom floor for the next hour or so. No, it was not comfortable, but I think I dozed a bit. Eventually, I knew I couldn't get back to sleep in my bed, but I had no doubt that the couch would do the trick. I was right! I got on the couch around 3:45 and managed to fall asleep around 4:00ish. I woke up at 5:00 when Joe came in to turn on the coffee maker. He asked how I was doing, and I told him the kind of night I had. He wanted to stay home with me, but Thursday is his busiest day of the week, and it's not easy to find a sub spur of the moment. I told him I thought if I just rested I'd be ok; however, my first prenatal appointment was scheduled for 10:20 that morning, and I wasn't sure if I should or could make it. I decided to play it by ear and see how I felt later on that morning, and slept some more after he left for school. When I got up, I was not feeling good. I was so sore everywhere! Joe had gotten me some water and yogurt before he left, and I had been trying to get it down for while, but with the sore throat and all, I hadn't downed much of it. Eventually, I went to the bathroom and guess what?? Another wave of nausea hit me! This time I did throw up. Well, sort of. There wasn't really anything left in my stomach, so go figure. But I felt completely awful. So I called Mom (crying), who advised me to get Joe to take me to my prenatal, as she thought my midwife would have a better idea of what I needed than some random doctor. Joe's classes on Thursday (all five of them) are back-to-back, so by the time I called and asked him, it was nearly impossible for him to get anyone to cover for him in the middle of everything. He tried, but no one got back to him. So I called our pastor's wife, but she didn't pick up. I went upstairs to ask my neighbor if she wouldn't mind taking me. She pretty much said yes, but her parents (who have been visiting for the past week) were sitting there and were like, "We could take her--we're heading that way anyway." So they ended up taking me, which was such a blessing! They dropped me off and I had a looooong appointment with my midwife. That all went well and is for another post. :) When I got our, my neighbor called me and asked if I still needed to be picked up. So (bless her!), she came and got me. As soon as I got home, I ate some cereal, took some Tylenol, put on "Cheaper by the Dozen" (the older version), and eventually got comfortable and dozed on and off.
So, that was how my Wednesday and Thursday went. I got better towards the evening, as the body aches and chills wore off. I still don't know what hit me, but I haven't had anything like that happen for a long time. I'm doing better today, though I'm tired and still have a very sore throat. Oh yeah, and we've have a bunch of weather warnings today-- tornado watches, flood watches, pollen alert, and special weather statement. Hah! I just want to stay at home and sleep it all off..............zzzzzzzzzzzz.............
To make this post more interesting than just a sob story about my day, I'm going to give you a treat: the first "picture" of our baby!!! :) Yay!!

Teenie tiny. 1.56 cm with a heart rate of 161 bpm. Pretty awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh Crystal, I am soooo sorry!!!!! I SO wish I could have been there to take care of you. :( I hope you're doing better. It's so frustrating that we're so far away I can't help out, but I will be praying for you! At least that your sick days synch up with Joe's free days! (lol...or that you just don't get sick at all, right?!)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a bright note, SOOOOOO awesome to finally SEE the baby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mags! I wish you could have, too. It was quite lonely and boring during the day. I am definitely doing better and expect by next week to be nearly normal! :)

    You bet! And Denise told me that the next ultrasound I get will better by leaps and bounds--I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete